The summer is a great time to reconnect with contacts and focus on your business development and branding efforts. Here are some ideas on how you can do it using both in-person networking and online networking techniques:
- Make it a weekly practice to connect with VIP contacts – mentors, former professors, former colleagues – anyone who you think can be a valuable connection. Continue to invest in those relationships.
- Volunteer on a bar association committee, for a social cause or a pro bono project enables you to meet others.
- Consider teaching CLE seminars or a course. Adjunct professor work is a great way to connect with people who can be future referrals.
- Go to alumni events and get involved with your alumni associations.
- Find ways to help your contacts. This is key for follow up and relationship building.
- Every day, like and/or share others’ posts in your industry and at your firm. Strategically congratulate successes of others.
- Write content that you can then also share. This will help you build your personal brand and stay top of mind with contacts.
- Make a connections plan for LinkedIn and connect with the people you meet in person who you consider worthwhile to extend the relationship online. Ensure their contact info is in your CRM database.
- Write a client alert, a blog post, an article or all of these!
Try these out and let me know how they go!