Stefanie Marrone advises law firms (of all sizes), professional service firms, B2C and B2B companies, professional associations and individuals on the full range of marketing and business development consulting services designed to enhance revenue, retain current clients, attract new clients and achieve greater brand recognition and market share.
Stefanie has worked with a broad range of law firms of all sizes over her nearly 20-year legal marketing career from Big Law, to mid-size firms to boutique firms to solo practitioners.
She also works with accounting firms, recruiting firms, individuals, start-ups and entrepreneurs.
Stefanie understands what her clients need from working at law firms for 18 years. These firms include Sullivan & Cromwell, Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison, Morrison & Forester, Proskauer, Mayer Brown and McKee Nelson (which is now part of Morgan Lewis) and mid-size firm Tarter Krinsky & Drogin.
At each of these firms, she developed and executed revenue generating, business development, internal and external communications strategies, branding and multi-channel content marketing/thought leadership campaigns on a firmwide, practice, industry and lawyer level that had a real impact on the firm and its lawyers.
Knowing that so many B2B companies – especially law firms – are just scratching the surface when it comes to how they use their content and social media, she is passionate about helping organizations and their employees effectively utilize social platforms for business development, revenue generation and visibility opportunities.
A former journalist, Stefanie often writes about issues facing lawyers and legal marketers today. In addition to writing on this blog, you can follow her articles on JD Supra. She is a frequent conference and webinar speaker on social media and marketing-related topics.
A lifelong New Yorker, Stefanie didn’t go very far from home for her education. She holds a master of science in strategic communications from Columbia University (which she completed while working full-time) and a bachelor’s degree in history and art history from New York University.
Giving back to the industry that has given her so much is very important to Stefanie. She has served in several local, regional and national Legal Marketing Association volunteer roles. She was secretary of the LMA’s Northeast Region and co-chair of the 2019 LMA Northeast Regional Conference.
Stefanie consults for law firms, individual lawyers from firms of all sizes and a wide range of professional service firms, including accounting and recruiting firms. Her services include:
- Marketing and business development strategy development (on a firmwide, practice and individual level)
- Outsourced CMO/marketing director support for small and mid-sized firms – let me help you run your marketing efforts without paying for a full-time employee
- Social media consulting – I will help you use social media to actually bring in new clients and retain your existing ones as well as boost your visibility and brand recognition
- Social media training (for groups, one on one and firmwide) – optimization of individual LinkedIn profiles and company pages
- Content marketing and thought leadership consulting, strategy and development
- Lead generation and business development support
Stefanie lives in NYC with her French bulldog puppy Lucy who serves as her company’s CFO (Chief Frenchie Officer).
Stefanie specifically helps companies and individuals with:
Social Media Strategy and Execution
- Create and implement social media strategy.
- Ensure that all firm news (press mentions, blog posts, articles, events, sponsorships, etc.) are leveraged on the web site and social media (the firm’s company page and the corresponding lawyer(s) social networks.
- Manage the firm’s content (write new content, edit and leverage old content, work with lawyers to ensure they are producing new content)
- Utilize social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram) to help the firm and its lawyers build their brands and potential business and referral sources.
- Develop an editorial calendar with future social media posts, accompanying custom social media images and appropriate hashtags for each post.
- Help build visibility through earned and owned media (bio, practice group series, firm history and case studies).
- Reuse and repurpose content to enhance the firm’s social media efforts.
- Build a hashtag strategy for each of the social media platforms.
- Utilize SEO to help the firm’s brand and prospecting.
- Provide suggestions for lawyers’ LinkedIn profiles, including:
- creating a LinkedIn custom cover image and friendly URL
- obtaining All Star Status on LinkedIn
- creating a keyword-rich about us section, optimizing profiles and advanced LinkedIn use, such as adding in past achievements and media highlights, like, commenting and sharing posts
- using the platform to generate new business and rekindling relationships with old/dormant contacts
- utilizing the new featured section to highlight past media and important content
- Analyze data after each social media post and on a monthly basis to look at follower trends to inform future content strategy.
Business and Client Development
- Review existing practices and services to identify strengths, weaknesses and possible growth opportunities. Work with lawyers on practice group planning and write practice-related materials.
- Develop a strategic plan focusing on how to effectively market the firm and its lawyers in current market conditions and beyond.
- Provide business development coaching, workshops and one-on-one coaching. Create business plans for lawyers.
- Work on development of a target list of contacts with whom lawyers have lost touch who could be potential referral sources or clients (former classmates and colleagues, past clients and VIP contacts, etc.) and develop a plan for soft outreach to them.
- Create marketing materials for proposals and pitches, and help the firm respond to RFPs when needed.
- Update practice descriptions and lawyer bios to optimize for SEO.
- Develop and maintain alumni relations program.
- Advise on lateral partner/lawyer new hire integration.
Marketing Communications Strategy and Execution
- Brainstorm ideas for future content and establish process for generating regular content on timely topics affecting the firm’s target audience, such as articles and blog posts.
- Create email distribution list and email marketing templates so the firm can send out emails to clients and prospects.
- Research conferences, sponsorships and article byline opportunities, and pitch lawyers as sources to the media, which will help to raise their profiles.
- Ghostwrite articles, blog posts, newsletters, e-announcements and content of all kinds.
- Develop recruiting, diversity and pro bono content.
- Help with writing legal directory submissions and provide guidance on Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers processes and how to make the lists.
- Assist with internal communications as needed.
In addition, she serves as the outsourced marketing department/strategic lead for a number of professional service organizations.