Owned media – the content and media assets that a business creates and controls – is the secret weapon I use to create a steady stream of unique content for my clients. Yet so many organizations don’t use it to their advantage.
While traditional marketing methods still hold significant value, owned media has emerged as a powerful tool for law firms to differentiate themselves, build credibility and foster meaningful connections with their target audience.
It includes channels such as your website, blogs, social media profiles, email newsletters, podcasts, videos and any other platform where the business has complete control over the content and distribution.
Unlike earned media (publicity gained through PR efforts) or paid media (advertising purchased to reach an audience), owned media is content that is created and owned by the organization itself.
It allows businesses to have full control over their messaging, branding and communication with their target audience.
The benefits of owned media include increased brand visibility, and control over content and messaging. It is an essential component of a comprehensive marketing strategy and serves as a foundation for establishing a strong online presence.
With owned media, law firms have complete control over the content they produce and share.
By leveraging owned media platforms such as blogs, podcasts, videos and webinars, law firms and legal service providers can position themselves as thought leaders in their respective practice areas.
Benefits of Owned Media for Law Firms
- Establishing Thought Leadership: By creating and sharing high-quality content through owned media channels, law firms can position themselves as thought leaders within their areas of expertise. Thoughtful articles, whitepapers, case studies and webinars can showcase the firm’s knowledge and experience, ultimately building trust and attracting potential clients who are seeking expert legal advice.
- Building Credibility and Trust: Owned media platforms provide law firms with an opportunity to demonstrate their expertise and showcase their successful track record. By consistently delivering valuable and relevant content, firms can build credibility, nurture trust with their audience and foster a positive reputation within the legal industry.
- Targeted Audience Engagement: Owned media allows law firms to connect directly with their target audience. Through blog comments, social media interactions and email newsletters, firms can engage in two-way communication, respond to inquiries and build relationships with potential clients. This direct engagement fosters a sense of accessibility and approachability, which can significantly impact a firm’s marketing success.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Owned media, such as a well-optimized website and blog, plays a crucial role in enhancing a law firm’s visibility in search engine rankings. By producing high-quality, keyword-rich content that addresses common legal questions and concerns, law firms can attract organic traffic to their website, increase their online visibility and generate more leads.
- Cost-Effective Marketing: Compared to traditional advertising methods, owned media is a cost-effective marketing strategy. Once established, owned media platforms provide long-term benefits, allowing law firms to continue reaching their target audience without incurring ongoing costs. It empowers firms to focus on creating valuable content that resonates with their audience rather than relying solely on paid advertisements.
Best Practices for Leveraging Owned Media
- Content Strategy: Develop a comprehensive content strategy that aligns with your law firm’s goals and target audience. Identify key topics, conduct keyword research and create a content calendar to ensure consistency and relevance in your messaging.
- Consistency: Regularly update your owned media platforms with fresh, informative and engaging content. Consistency is key to building an audience and keeping them engaged over time.
- Multimedia Approach: Utilize various content formats, including written articles, videos, podcasts and infographics, to cater to different audience preferences and enhance engagement.
- Cross-Promotion: Promote your owned media content across different platforms, such as sharing blog posts on social media or featuring podcast episodes in your newsletter. Cross-promotion amplifies your reach and drives traffic back to your owned media channels.
- Analytics and Optimization: Monitor the performance of your owned media efforts using analytics tools. Analyze audience engagement, track conversions, and identify opportunities for improvement to refine your content strategy continually.
Compared to traditional marketing methods, owned media is a cost-effective marketing strategy for law firms. By harnessing the power of owned media, law firms and legal service providers can control and enhance their online presence, strengthen their brand, establish credibility and forge meaningful connections with their target audience.
Reach out to me for help creating an owned media strategy!