Showing up as yourself on social media in videos and photos is not easy. Trust me. But it works. Because people want to do business with other people.
Effective professional services marketing is business to human, not business to business anymore.
According to Forbes, “B2H (business to human) is a form of marketing that targets the human behind the screen and focuses on what each individual needs rather than marketing just to a specific consumer or business. It’s about being focused on the person rather than the pocketbook and building long-lasting relationships.”
Showing up on others’ social media feed through video and photos of you (selfies are fine – your iPhone timer feature can help with this!) is key to your social media success.
It helps people get to know you.
It helps you build your personal brand.
It also helps you stand out in a crowded market.
So whether it’s showing up in a video or a photo (this is why you should invest in multiple headshots of yourself), these are the posts that tend do the best because again, people want to do business with people and those are people they know, like and trust.
A great way to get more confident showing up on social media is to practice using it more often.
Start by setting aside some time every day to work on your social media accounts, and use that time to record, plan and/or post content that reflects your values, interests and expertise.
As you become more comfortable with each platform, start engaging with others by liking and commenting on their posts, joining conversations and networking.
Here are 10 tips to help you show up on social media more confidently:
- Set realistic goals. Start small and build your presence gradually.
- Know your audience. Understand who you’re talking to and create content that appeals to them.
- Create a social media calendar to help manage and track your posts – and this way you can also repurpose past posts, which is smart and efficient.
- Be consistent. Post regularly and follow a schedule to ensure you stay visible.
- Focus on quality, not quantity. Quality content is the key to engagement.
- Showcase your expertise. Showcase your knowledge and share valuable insights with your audience.
- Engage with others. Take part in conversations and connect with others. This is how you build a strong community.
- Choose the right platform. Select the platforms that best fit your goals and where your target audience – clients, prospective clients, recruits, etc. are. You don’t need to be on every social media platform – in fact – you shouldn’t.
- Experiment with different formats. Try different types of content such as videos, images, carousel posts, infographics and stories.
- Monitor your performance. Track your analytics to see what’s working and what isn’t.
In addition, take the time to research best practices on social media such as following creators and others you admire, and you will become more confident in the process.
Don’t be afraid to put yourself in the spotlight as long as you provide value to your audience because YOU are your brand and your business!
Follow me on Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and my blog. Subscribe to my email newsletter for marketing and social media tips.