The secret to building your personal brand is putting yourself out there where potential clients and referral sources are, and going after opportunities and creating opportunities for yourself.
It’s great when things come to us, but it’s not that often when they do. So take control and make them happen!
That’s often the difference between you and your peers/competitors who are more visible than you.
Here are some ideas:
- Look to others for inspiration, ask people how they’ve gotten to where they are, and be plugged into industry events and publications.
- Submit to speak at conferences.
- Send client-centric email newsletters.
- Leverage your media coverage and award wins in a client-centric way.
- Write client alerts and blog posts.
- Host short, educational webinars.
- Attend industry events and strategically network.
- Submit articles to industry trade publications.
- Start a podcast and/or video series.
- Research industry podcasts and put yourself forward as a guest.
- Build your brand and network on LinkedIn. Show up on LinkedIn consistently and provide value.
It’s not hard to promote yourself and be more visible, but you do have to make the time to do it.
We have to make things happen for us that we want. Don’t bury your head in your work. You also need to be visible and top of mind in your industry.
The secret to personal branding is YOU.
What are you going to do this week to build your personal brand?
Reach out to me if you need help creating a personal branding strategy.