Attending a conference is much more than just absorbing presentations and grabbing business cards. If harnessed properly, conferences provide an unparalleled opportunity to establish yourself as a thought leader. And no, you don’t necessarily need to be on stage delivering a presentation to achieve this. Here is a roadmap to transform your presence at conferences into a powerful branding tool.
1. Adopt the Role of the Chief Reporter
Dive into the heart of the conference by positioning yourself as an in-situ journalist. Contact speakers beforehand, gather snippets from their upcoming talks, and help amplify their reach. When you’re at the event, leverage transcription tools like Otter to record invaluable insights from key industry figures. This treasure trove of data can be restructured into various formats such as videos, podcasts, social media posts, blog posts or articles.
2. Leverage LinkedIn Publisher
LinkedIn, with its expansive professional network, offers an ideal platform for sharing your conference insights. Use the Publisher feature to craft compelling narratives about your conference experiences, thereby fortifying your professional brand.
3. Time, The Essence of Fresh Content
The relevance of your content is inversely proportional to the time you take to publish it post-conference. Capturing notes on-the-go, photographing significant slides or even banking on your tweets as a primary draft can ensure you have a consolidated repository of fresh insights to share.
4. Reciprocity – The Relationship Building Tool
When sharing insights or quotes from specific speakers, ensure you tag them. This not only attributes the content correctly but also fosters potential professional relationships. A well-timed compliment on their presentation can be your key to forging valuable connections.
5. Curation Over Creation
Don’t pressure yourself to produce original content always. Tools that curate content around an event can be your best friends. By simply following a conference hashtag, you can weave together diverse insights into a cohesive narrative.
6. The Magic of Listicles
People love structured content. Presenting your insights as a list (like the one you’re reading) not only makes it digestible but also enhances readership. A catchy title with numbers can make your content irresistibly clickable.
At its core, branding is about authentic storytelling. When you attend a conference, you’re surrounded by stories waiting to be told. By showcasing these tales, not only do you share knowledge but also cement your place as a thought leader in your domain. Every conference, every interaction, every tweet is a chance to showcase your unique perspective. Don’t just attend; immerse, engage and lead the conversation.
- Role of a Reporter: By assuming the role of a journalist, you can capture unique insights and viewpoints at a conference.
- LinkedIn as a Tool: Use LinkedIn Publisher for wider professional reach and branding.
- Timeliness Matters: Create and publish content while the conference details are still fresh for maximum impact.
- Network Smartly: Tagging speakers and complementing them fosters beneficial professional relationships.
- Content Curation: Utilize content curation tools and strategies to derive insights without always creating new content.
- Power of Listicles: Structured, list-based content is highly engaging and widely read.
- Authentic Storytelling: Engage in genuine storytelling at conferences to solidify your brand as a thought leader.