Just a quick reminder that we all start from scratch when it comes to our social media presence, building our business and our brand. Me included.
Use the LinkedIn platform to help you with all of this. Learn from others, read articles like this and attend webinars, but also forge your own path. What’s right for me isn’t necessarily right for you.
Find what works for you. It will take trial and error. That’s okay. It’s part of the process.
Here’s what I know works – don’t post about your successes. Be authentic. Be selective in who you allow into your network. Never pay for followers. Don’t brag. Be humble. Post content that helps others. Think about what will make you stand out. What can you offer others? How can you serve others?
There are so many people using social media and other tools to build their brands and businesss so why not let it be you? And why not start today?
I have clients doing this for the first time in their 40s, 50s and 60s. So it’s never too late or too early!
Here’s how to start:
- Make a list of all of the things that you could potentially write about. Only choose subjects that really interest you. Your content will be stronger when you are passionate about it and ideas will freely flow.
- Look at what others writing about – knowledge is power and competitive intelligence is beyond useful.
- Build your network every single day so that when you are ready to post you have a wide audience who will see your content.
- Post consistently and don’t care about the number of likes you have at first. They will come. Be confident in the content you are producing.
- Learn all you can about the various tools and algorithms on the social platforms that you plan to use. So on LinkedIn you should learn about how LinkedIn’s algorithm works and the right number of hashtags to use and the right time of day to post. All of this will help your content be more effective.
Remember that social media is not going anywhere, in fact it’s only going to get more powerful as the generations in the workforce become younger. To learn how to use it today.
I’d love to hear what’s working for you in terms of how you have built your professional brand on LinkedIn or on another social media platform.