Summer has waved goodbye, and now it’s back to school, back to work and – for some of us – back to reality (bummer). If the idea of diving back into your professional routine feels daunting, you’re not alone. Here are some tips on how to ease back into the swing of things.
- Reestablish Your Morning Routine: Mornings set the tone for the day. Perhaps it’s a workout, a walk with your dogs or grabbing your favorite coffee (I swear by all three!). Find what gears you up and stick to it, ensuring you’re ready to tackle the day ahead.
- Set Realistic Expectations: Your first few days back might feel like you’re wading through molasses. Move at your pace. After all, everyone is in the same boat, trying to find their rhythm again.
- Reconnect Over Emails: While you might be tempted to spend hours sifting through every email notification, a quick chat with colleagues might offer more context and updates than getting lost in those long threads.
- Beware the Multitasking Trap: It rarely works, especially when you’re playing catch-up. Focus on one task, give it your all and then move to the next.
- Carve Out Email Time: Those unread emails won’t check themselves.Dedicate specific blocks of time to go through your emails. Prioritize by sender, ensuring that you’re responsive to key stakeholders first. Ensure your VIPs (your boss, clients, that colleague who always has snacks) get first priority.
- Prioritize Your Tasks: No one expects you to tick off everything on day one. In fact, I can guarantee you won’t. Determine what needs immediate attention and what can simmer for a day or two.
- Self-Care Isn’t Just for Sundays: Be kind to yourself. Recognize when you need a break, take a walk or simply stretch. Remember, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.
- One Step at a Time: Each task completed is progress made. Don’t forget to breathe and celebrate the small wins!
Transition periods, whether from a holiday or a season change, always bring challenges. However, with thoughtful planning, a bit of patience and prioritizing self-care, you’ll be back in the groove in no time.
How do you smoothly transition back into work mode after a break?