Giving Tuesday is a global generosity movement that inspires millions of people to give, collaborate and celebrate giving back. Your clients, employees and everyone else who comes in touch with your business cares about what you do to support the greater good of the community at large.
Many of you are already doing good works, so why not let the world know about them?
Here’s what you can do to support the initiative and let your clients and prospects know about the good things – such as your pro bono work, community service initiatives and volunteerism that your organization does for others.
- Highlight the pro bono and nonprofits to which your organization donates and/or volunteers. Stroock did a series a few years back called “Stroocksgiving” where it featured various pro bono and nonprofit organizations, the work they did with for them and raised their own profile in the process.
- Use the #GivingTuesday hashtag to help increase the visibility of your posts. This will be a trending hashtag.
- Consider sharing an infographic to highlight key points that support the cause, or post a custom graphic with a powerful statistic that emphasizes the mission of the organization you are highlighting. Quotes and testimonials are also effective in establishing an emotional connection with others.
- Share stories about people. Studies repeatedly confirm that posts with pictures of people in them tend to receive more engagement.
For #GivingTuesday, I want to highlight the causes importance to me and shine a spotlight on them.
- The Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation – My mom passed away from this blood and bone marrow cancer. I’m dedicated to supporting their research in the hopes of having more treatment breakthroughs.
- The Doe Fund – It’s impossible to not be heartbroken by those without homes when you live in NYC. For over 30 years, The Doe Fund has led the charge against homelessness and recidivism by providing economic opportunity, housing, career training and supportive services to homeless and formerly incarcerated men.
- Ms. JD – Despite comprising half of the graduating law school classes each year, there are far too few women who make partner at law firms or who are promoted to leadership roles at those firms. We can and must do better. Ms. JD is dedicated to the success of women in law school and the legal profession.
- The French Bulldog Rescue Network – Many of you know I have two French bulldog puppies who I adore. While I didn’t adopt them, I volunteer with this organization that rescues Frenchies and find them new homes. (I wish I could volunteer and foster for every animal rescue out there.)
If you can give time or a donation to a cause or charity that is meaningful to you, please do. Encourage your firm to do it as well as your family. And not just today. Do good because it’s just the right thing to do.
I would love to hear which causes are you supporting and why.