As someone who worked at a firm that went through a merger (McKee Nelson when it merged with Bingham McCutchen – RIP to both firms), I can tell you firsthand what a complicated, exhilarating, stressful and unique experience it was.
During this webinar, I will be joined by Wendy Bernero, who was my boss at the time during the McKee Nelson/Bingham merger (most of the Bingham people from McKee Nelson went on to join Morgan Lewis).
Wendy is now the Global Chief Marketing Officer at Baker McKenzie, as well as Laura Leopard, the Founder and CEO of legal intelligence company Leopard Solutions, Tom Cole, the managing partner of Troutman Pepper, which successfully merged in 2019, and Kent Zimmermann, a principal at Zeughauser Group, someone who regularly brings together some of these firms in mergers/combinations. I hope you will join us.
Below is a description of the webinar.
The legal industry has seen a record-setting pace of law firm mergers and combinations in the past few years, and this activity is on the rise with the pandemic now in the rearview mirror. These tie-ups offer tremendous opportunities for law firms such as market expansion, increasing the depth and breadth of services, competitive advantage and bench strength, diversification of client base but also come with significant risks.
The success or failure of a law firm merger or combination rest upon a plethora of factors and decisions made both before and after the deal is consummated. And the stakes are raised when one or more of the parties need to complete the deal quickly to prevent partner defections or to shore up shaky finances.
In this webinar, we will explore the current law firm merger and acquisitions landscape, and look at:
- How widespread are mergers between firms today?
- What are the key issues in considering a merger and the issues that prompt firms to merge?
- What are the most important considerations in approaching a merger, both in terms of identifying possible partners and then assessing their suitability?
- What are some successful examples of law firm mergers & combinations?
- What are common pitfalls in mergers and how can they be avoided?
- Wendy Bernero, Global Chief Marketing Officer, Baker McKenzie
- Tom Cole, Managing Partner, Troutman Pepper
- Laura Leopard, Founder and CEO, Leopard Solutions
- Stefanie Marrone, Founder, Stefanie Marrone Consulting | The Social Media Butterfly (moderator)
- Kent Zimmermann, Principal, Zeughauser Group