In the fast-paced world of business and entrepreneurship, it’s easy to fall into the trap of chasing potential clients or customers through cold outreach. We send out messages to strangers, hoping they’ll be interested in what we have to offer.
However, this approach often activates the wrong parts of their brain—the parts conditioned to expect sales pitches, remember previous cold messages and swiftly categorize us as just another marketer. It’s a tough barrier to break through.
Even if your product or service is genuinely exceptional, cold outreach can unintentionally push your audience into the “I won’t want this” state. So, what’s the alternative? How can you pique interest without triggering resistance?
The answer lies in a powerful strategy: content marketing. Instead of chasing potential clients, let them come to you through substantive, helpful content. Here are some points to consider.
- Avoid the Cold Outreach Trap: Cold outreach can often be counterproductive, as it triggers skepticism and resistance. People are wary of unsolicited messages, which can lead them to dismiss your offering even if it’s genuinely valuable.
- Use Content to Attract and Engage: Shift your focus from chasing leads to creating valuable content that attracts your target audience. Share your expertise, insights and knowledge through blog posts, articles, videos and social media.
- Build Trust and Credibility: By consistently providing valuable content, you build trust and credibility within your industry. This positions you as an authority figure, making people more inclined to seek your products or services when they’re ready.
- Let Them Come to You: Content marketing allows potential clients or customers to step forward on their own terms. They engage with your content because they want to, not because they feel pressured or pushed.
- Lower Resistance: Unlike cold outreach, content marketing lowers barriers. When people engage with your content voluntarily, their guards are down, making them more receptive to what you have to offer.
In conclusion, one of the most effective ways to generate interest in your business is by using content marketing to attract and engage your audience.
By letting potential clients or customers come to you on their own terms, you build trust, credibility, and genuine interest. So, instead of chasing, start creating valuable content that makes your audience step forward willingly—a strategy that can lead to long-term success and meaningful connections in your industry.
Stefanie Marrone advises law firms of all sizes, professional service firms, B2B companies, recruiters and individuals on the full range of marketing and business development consulting services designed to enhance revenue, retain current clients and achieve greater brand recognition. She also serves as outsourced chief marketing officer/marketing department for small and mid-size law firms.
Over her 20+-year legal marketing career, she has worked at and with a broad range of big law, mid-size and small firms, which has given her a valuable perspective of the legal industry.