Career success is not always easy. You may have periods where you’re on top of the world and then other times when you make mistakes or fail.
The good news is that you always have the opportunity to learn and become a better version of yourself. I have certainly made mistakes, gotten in my own way and also achieved success. Remember that no one is perfect, no one’s career path is a straight line to the top and failures make you stronger.
Here are some tips to help you move ahead and achieve your professional dreams.
- Craft your career and forge your own path on your own terms.
- Find great mentors to help you navigate through your career.
- Be a mentor to someone.
- Intently listen to others.
- Give without expecting anything in return.
- Do the worst first. Procrastination can hold you back big time.
- Work harder than anyone else but also have some fun. Don’t let life pass you by.
- Forgive yourself for mistakes.
- Take credit but also give credit and be humble
- Keep track of your successes to remind yourself (and others) of your value.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Everyone’s path is unique and winding.
- It’s okay to not be okay all of the time.
- Take time off. Vacations are a good thing and you need time to rest and recharge.
- Outsource and delegate what you can.
- Lift up others.
- Be kind to everyone with whom you come in contact.
- Continually build your professional network and use LinkedIn to help you do this.
- Put yourself outside of your comfort zone and say yes to opportunities that aren’t in your wheelhouse. It’s often during uncomfortable situations where you really grow.
- Don’t be afraid to speak up.
- Put yourself out there and ask for opportunities.
- Be helpful and generous to everyone. It’s the right thing to do and it often leads to reciprocity.
- Be a team player – offer to help your colleagues and industry friends.
- Set achievable goals and hold yourself accountable.
- Ask for help and give help to others.
- Try not to burn bridges unless absolutely necessary. When it is necessary just walk away with your head high.
- Don’t be a mean girl or guy. Remove yourself from gossip and negativity.
- Do what you love. You can switch career paths at any point in your career. It’s never too late.
The most important tip I have is that we are all works in progress. No one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. Success means different things to different people. The most important thing is to do something professionally that makes you happy and excited. It’s not all about money or title.