Remember that we all start from scratch when it comes to building our social media presence, our business and our brand. Me included.
It’s never been more important to be on social media for branding and business development than of us today.
The world is forever changed after the pandemic. We will be using social much more after things go back to “normal.”
Learn from others on social but forge your own path. What’s right for me isn’t necessarily right for you. I may share more about myself than you would but that’s ok.
Be authentic and find what works for you. Don’t brag here. Be humble. Post content that helps others.
I have clients doing this for the 1st time in their 40s, 50s and 60s. So it’s never too late or too early!
So where do you start?
- Make a list of topics to write about that really interest you. Look at what others writing about for inspiration and gaps.
- Think about what will make you stand out and what can you offer others? How can you help others?
- Build your network so that when you’re ready to post you have a strong audience. Comment on others’ posts to foster community.
- Pick the right channels – you don’t need to be on every social channel. Only focus on the ones where your clients and prospects are. Be strategic.
- Learn how to use hashtags and how to create custom images (I use Canva). You’ll need both of these to enhance your reach and visibility.
- Dive in! Post consistently and don’t obsess about the number likes you have at first. Just show up, be confident and build your audience. (The algorithm of LinkedIn, Facebook and other social channels favors content producers who are active and who regularly post.)
- Use analytics to refine your content strategy – which posts do well/not so well so you can refine your content strategy.
There are so many people using social media and other tools to build their brands and business so why not you? And why not start today? It works!