I love this campaign featuring AIG employees to celebrate Women’s History Month and International Women’s Day, which is on March 8.
The day is an opportunity for people all over the world to celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women, increasing visibility and raising awareness about gender inequality across the world. Honestly, I think this should be every day, but I’ll take one day!
In the AIG campaign, employees recount why International Women’s Day is important to them, and it is really inspiring.
Take some time this month to celebrate and thank the women in your life who have inspired you, helped you grow, supported you and mentored you. I will be doing this during March and all year long.
Highlighting the successes of the women in your life and at your firm can create a wonderful social media campaign. It makes employees feel good and appreciated. Clients like to see those who work for them getting recognition.
Give subjects the option of answering three to five of the questions below and submitting a headshot and a photo of themselves with a mentor or a woman who inspired them:
- Why did you choose your profession?
- What does Women’s History Month mean to you?
- What do you love most about what you do?
- Tell us about a woman you look up to and why.
- Do you have a mentor?
- Any advice to young women who want to succeed in the workplace?
- What do you wish you could tell your younger self?
- What is the best career advice you’ve ever received?
- How do you achieve work/life balance?
- How are you breaking barriers faced by women in your field?
- Which woman most inspires you and why?
- What do you think is the key for success in a role like yours?
- What advice would you give to women in your field?
Consider making the campaign inclusive of the past, present and future women at your firm, including alumnae of your firm as well as junior employees. Law firms, please don’t just feature your lawyers – include professional staff as well!
Some ideas of campaigns you can do is something as simple as highlighting the incredible women colleagues at your company or like AIG did, ask employees why International Women’s Day is so important to them. I love what Proskauer is doing with featuring quotes from their lawyers and alumni on advice they’ve received from mentors during their career (see image at left).
Be sure to use the #InternationalWomensDay and #womenshistorymonth hashtags. Other hashtags to use include: eachforequal IWD InternationalWomensDay2020 WomenInBusiness women and #womensupportingwomen.
Let’s commit to honoring the women in our lives regularly and supporting one another. I know we will be stronger together.